Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Playing QB

J's true love in life thus far is football.

When he was younger he played line both ways.  My advice to him was always to do his best and let the coach know he'd be willing to play whatever, whenever.  He's a boy who decides he's going to get something done and rarely lets anything get in his way.  I think that's one of his best traits.  He gets to practice early, and stays late.  He watches old high school game films.  He watches college and pro games. He knows names, stats, histories.  He reads plays, he analyses film.  It's taught him some really good stuff that I'll explain more about here.  He has dreams of his own for his future.

It's his thing.

And I love what it's doing for him.

He plays linebacker on defense.  A position that he excels at, if I can be a little partial.

He's also playing quarterback.

I'll be honest.  I like him better on defense.

Obviously it's a team sport, but QB's are leaders on the field.  Everyone looks to him. Now that he is one, I'm regretting every nasty thing I've ever said about any QB in the history of ever.  He's fine with it, by the way, it's me who has anxiety.  Call me crazy, but someone saying something negative about one of my own isn't my favorite even if it is true. He has a huge bulls eye on his chest and it's not called "tackle" for nothing.  The mother in me cringes a little when I think of someone bear hugging him to the ground on purpose.

Thing is, he's doing really well and he's learned so much.  He's learning all these things about the game, and those same things he can apply off the field.

Things like how important good communication is and how to talk to others.  How to be frustrated and be polite.  How to lift others up and how to set clear expectations.  How to speak his mind under pressure.  How to tune out noise.  How important practice and preparation are.  Also how frustrating it is when he's unsure of what is expected of him and how to ask for clarity.  Or how to keep going when it's hard and mistakes have been made and the clock is ticking.  How to give his all and how it feels when others don't, and when others do. How to treat others to bring out the best in them.  How to help others dig deep and go further than they think they can.  How to do that himself.  How much it hurts to get up Sunday morning and go to church with turf burn and how much he needs to be there anyway.  How much he needs his linemen to protect him. How much he doesn't want to let others down.

Those are pretty valuable lessons in life.

Love that boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment