Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Football Family

Some of the coaches Hub coaches with have been together for years.  We've all watched our kids grow up. They've become good friends. Some of the boys Hub has coached have come back to coach along side the others.  Can I say some form of the word "coach" any more in this paragraph?  Anyway, saying it's a family atmosphere only scratches the surface.

I love the feeling.

I especially love it because my kids are a part of it.  Instead of their heroes being some over publicized, over paid, over glorified, talented-but-dumb-as-a-brick thug with a criminal history, they look up to the 17 year old 6'2" center who puts his pants on one leg at a time and maybe struggles in History.  He's the boy who's mom still gets after him to make his bed in the morning and clean up the bathroom.  He's the boy who comes to practice early and stays late to help clean up.  He's the boy who listens and works really hard.  He's the boy who fist-bumps my boys as he goes by and calls them by name.  And he's not just one boy, there's a whole bunch of them that my kids look up to.

I'm so grateful for that.

Before coaching, I had no idea how involved it could be.  The hours at practice. The hours travelling. The hours watching film and analyzing.  Hours, and hours.  We just know that as the season goes the more likely Hub is to be there without really being there.  No worries, it's all good.  He's committed.

Hub doesn't coach for the money.  Honestly, it would be something like .03 cents an hour anyway, if that. He does it because he loves the game.  Plain and simple.

Before coaching I didn't realize how much I could want those players to be successful when I barely know them.  I hope good things for them on and off the field.  I hope they are learning from the game and will be better because of it.

Football is in the air and the season is half over.  The hot desert wind is changing ever so slightly and I can feel the crisp feeling of fall in the air.  Games will be won and lost.  Film will be watched and watched.  After the season we'll all retire to our own corners and keep on doing what we do until January when it all starts up again.  Yes, January.

And the game will go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment