Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I can do this, right?

Let it be known that I have a love/hate relationship with Christmas.

I had this huge blathering post all about how I hate Christmas, when what I really hate is feeling unorganized and inadequate.  Christmas, for the reason, is quite an awesome time of year.  I just always seem to sink into the pit of despair, cough-cough.

Instead of leaving the blathering-poor-me-pit-of-despair post there, I think I'll make a list of what I wish I would have done instead.  A note to my future self. Then when the next one comes around I can see some good ideas of what to do.

Christmas was magical for me as a kid.  It really was and I'm so grateful for my family who helped it be that way.  I'm glad I missed the stress they must have felt.  I realize there are some things I just skip now because I'm an adult and, well, shame on me.  I can do better.

1 - Go see a nativity.  Seriously.  There's one at the temple.  It's close.  And how can you go to the temple grounds and not feel the spirit?  GO.  Put it on the schedule and just get there.

2 - Help the kids get gifts for each other.  And get one for Hub.  Something small, something special.  They are NOT going to learn to give if they never see you do it.  One thing from Santa is great.  The rest need to come from me and Hub.

3 - Lighten up.  Puh-leeze.  Lighten up and just enjoy yourself.  Ya, I know this one will be the hardest of all.

4 - Serve.  Find ways to serve each other and someone else who needs it.  Someone will be there and we all need to do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment